Thursday, June 26, 2008

Oh Canada! Monday: Of Rugs and Roti

On Monday we hooked up with my dad's side of the family and went to the Museum of Textiles.





There was a demo/participation display and since it was unattended, my mom walked over and started weaving to show my uncle and cousin how the machine worked. It completely blew their minds. Of course it also completely blew their minds that I photograph my food. Welcome to our world! Sorry, there is no guidebook.



One of the current exhibits, Rugs of War was extremely heavy. It was comprised of rugs woven in Afghanistan during the Soviet occupation. It was really strange to see little tanks and guns in place of birds and blossoms.







I realized I hadn't eaten anything all day and it was after 4 o'clock. So I ran around the corner to a Roti shop I had noticed. A roti is an East Indian flatbread similar to a tortilla. In the West Indes, they are stuffed and made into a sort of burrito, also referred to as a "roti". East meets West.





As I often do in unfamiliar territory, I asked the lady to just make it as if she were making it for herself. I ended up with curried chicken and something like daal. It was genius. I wish we had roti shops here; I would eat them for lunch every day.



Wanting to show us a nice time, our relatives drove us to the picturesque nearby town of Mississauga, pronounced Mrs. Saga. We walked along the water, then had dinner at their favorite place - Snug harbour. It was just like a movie location, "Find me a seaside restaurant! I need more life preservers on the walls!"





The local fish was catfish from Lake Erie. Although it was cooked with Cajun seasonings, it was very different than the catfish from the saltwater in the Gulf of Mexico. It was much cleaner-tasting (ironic, coming from Lake Erie). It was missing that appealing muddy flavor that probably explains why children like to eat dirt.



1 comment:

Paige said...

Your mom looks great! Glad you seem to have a great time!