Saturday, April 18, 2009

New Orleans Friday: I'm a Hungry Lady

We knew that Friday we would be attending a big Pyrate Parade. What we didn't realize was that it was part of a larger Pyrate Festival. From the first moment the elevator doors opened in or hotel it was stuffed with pirates until it was time to check out.

We went down to the Riverwalk to eat at Mike Anderson's. Their catfish fingers and red beans and rice are memorable enough to brave the wall. It was a holiday, so a little slushy rum drink was a good breakfast option.



The red beans and rice were as good as I remember, but the catfish fingers aren't quite as good as the old Bourbon Street location.



we were still a little hungry, so we checked out Messina's. The temptation was great, but I did not steal the display food.



I love stuffed crab, which is almost like crab meatloaf. It differs from crab cakes by the addition of massive amounts of melted butter and milk. You often see it served in the crab's shell or a tin version of the shell. But I like it in a po'boy. It didn't hold up to Felix's version, but it was still damn good.



We wandered in and out of the shops, and in one store I found my perfect lipstick. The women reading this blog will understand what a magical moment that is. But they were all out. Well they searched under the counters, and in the stockroom and under every rock. This counter girl was dedicated. Finally tired of searching, I bought another color. I asked her, "What would happen if the tester fell behind the counter?"

She said, "Well, we have ghosts you know. All kinds of strange things happen in this store." So I switched caps on the lipsticks and became the lipstick phantom of New Orleans. I wore it this morning and it still looks fantastic on me.

At the fudge counter, I was heartened to see that the market cries of old are not extinct, although they may have gotten a little update:



We picked up some chocolate with walnuts and Praline fudge for later.

No comments: