Monday, October 12, 2009

Mariachi Night



I spend so much time as an observer, taking pictures and documenting events of other people's communities, sometimes it is nice to get a reminder that I am part of a community too.



For my mom's birthday the family got together for the local church's Mariachi Night. The church I grew up in, where I went to school. The steps I sat on when I had detention. For 20 bucks you got a taco plate, a few drink tickets and lots of family fun.



I like watching them make the carne asada





And then I like eating it.





Later we realized you could get additional tacos and beers for a dollar each and that made it a much better deal. I noticed they hadn't punched my nephew's ticket, and I said, "Hey, you could get another plate." He turned it over and showed me the reverse side





Then there was the entertainment. Ballet Folkloriko was a lot of stomping and big colorful butterfly skirts when I was younger, but I am seeing more and more of these simple flirty dances lately



It's too dark to see the lasso, but at least you can hear the mariachis



The mechanical bull was a popular attraction for the kids. Why is it so funny to see a little kid fall down? We should all be ashamed of ourselves.



But the important thing is that my mom had a good time.

2 comments:

g and h said...

what a sweet post. reminded me of going to the annual fiesta at our church every year.

g

Anonymous said...

i wish you a marry christmas!!
check out my blog http://fantasticpeople123.blogspot.com/