Wednesday, January 6, 2010
Yes, I am saying bites rather than meals, because most of the fantastic food I have eaten this year has been at foodie events. A few may be sips, not bites, but hey - who's making the rules?
Speaking of rules, you may wonder what my criteria was. If I remembered something without having to think very hard and if I wished I could eat it right now it went on the list. Although some things were interesting, like Saddlepeak Lodge's elk and Jitlada's Fermented Catfish, I don't necessarily want to make a meal out of them right now.
This not a top favorites of all time list -- only things that were new to me this year. A "desert island" list would also look very different.
Sometimes it was hard not to put numerous bites from the same place. How can you choose between Rivera's Tortilla Florales and Tequila Mujer? Or Bouchon's Mac and Cheese and their pesto BLT bite? Choosing between RH's Duck Confit, Beef Cheeks and Perigord Egg dish was tough. Almost everything Sherry Yard and Susan Feniger make could go on this list. Now, on with the show...
1. King Crab at Sun Sui Wah in Vancouver
2. Japadog in Vancouver
3. Blueberry-Banana Milkshake at The Elbow Room in Vancouver
4. Mama's Sandwich at Campos in Philadelphia
5. Root Beer Float at Franklin Fountain in Philadelphia
6. Cream of Yellow Pepper Soup at Ca del Sol in Ensenada
7. Fried Chicken at Willie Mae's Scotch House in New Orleans
8. Kaya Toast from Susan Feniger's Street
9. Mortadella, Prosciutto di Parma, Salumi Salami & Aged Provolone Sandwich from Mozza2Go
10. Ceviche on a Plantain Chip from Smith Brothers Restaurants
11. Scallop on the half shell from East
12. Corn and Pasilla Custard at the San Antonio Winery
13. Dosa Fries from the Dosa Truck
14. Mac and Cheese at Bouchon
15. Perigourde poached egg with field mushrooms, foie gras and summer truffle at RH
16. Filet Mignon with Foie Gras at Le Saint-Raphael in Redondo Beach
17. Minestrone Soup at Campanile
18. Torta de Lengua from The Fig
19. Tuna carpaccio with wasabi soy truffle oil and Parmesan Cheese from Katana
20. Lavendar Shortbread from Craft
21. Tequila Mujer from Rivera
22. Chocolate Cookies from Sherry Yard
23. Sweet Potato Fries at Rush Street
24. Clam Fritters from Province
25. Prosciutto Sandwich from Giuliano's in Torrance
26. Bacon-wrapped figs from Cafe W as
27. Passionfruit Marshmallows from Bazaar
Posted by Elise Thompson at 4:42 PM