Thursday, October 21, 2010

Oktoberfest at Rush Street


I grew up near Alpine Village where Oktoberfest is a big deal and frankly, kind of scary. But when Rush Street invited me to their Oktoberfest, I couldn't accept fast enough. I love Rush Street and there was no chance of being accosted by an oompah band.

There were two special beers on the menu, the bitter Paulaner Oktoberfest Draft and the more gentle, but still bocky and intensely flavored Spatan.




Whereas most restaurants would just boil up a sausage or toss a little sauerkraut around and call it a day, Chef Dave Northrup of Rush Street would never be so lazy. He came up with an ingenious version of the German Schweinebraten sandwich.

First he marinated a pork loin in Lost Abby Ale, then coated it with brown mustard and some caraway seeds. Thick slices of the pork were heaped onto pretzel bread, topped with a layer of melted Swiss cheese and the lightest touch of sauerkraut. You really have to be careful with that stuff, and Rush street knows when enough is enough.


The sandwich could easily be gimmicky, but even the pretzel bread was just right. The Schweinebraten was so hearty and comforting, I told Bob, "I can see how you would want this around October, before the first snowfall. I could eat this sandwich, then crawl into my cave and be ready to hibernate all Winter."

"...then you'd wake up in Spring craving that sandwich."


Owner Brian McKeaney

There was the uhhh traditional Oktoberfest magician (what? You never heard of that tradition? See what Alpine Village teaches us)...Fantastic Fig. I noticed he had sparkly rings and fingernails to distract the eye, and some tape under the rings, but he picked our card every time so that's still damn impressive, so umm, Achtung! Errr, schnell! Dang, I learned all of my German from watching Hogan's Heroes. I don't know any German exclamations.

Oh my God, the servers have no legs! Roll out the barrel!

Again, no legs! Ach du lieber!!!

It's hard to rock a Tyrolean hat and still be so cool. Weinerschnitzel!


Seriously, that sandwich is worth driving across town any day. I hope Rush Street makes the Schweinebraten a permanent menu item, or at least until it's time to hibernate.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

There was actually decent food? That's not truly reflective of German cuisine! And I hear there were girls on the stripper poles? Where are them pix?

Elise Thompson said...

I have heard of the stripper poles, but never seen them.

German food is good as long as it involves pork or pastries. And pickles, you have to like pickles.

bourne said...

The food is great. And your photos are also amazing

Jamal Mohamed said...

Great post on "Oktoberfest at Rush Street". As a professional chef i have to appreciate your work. Keep Posting useful posts like this. Keep in touch with my websites- Culinary Schools | Cooking Schools